Saturday 30 July 2022

A tribute to a rare butterfly - Red Imperial (Suasa lisides suessa)

This post was specially created for a rare butterfly which was seen in July 2022 in Perak. This butterfly is quite small - probably just around 1.1cm (about the size of a Megisba malaya - Malayan Pied Blue).

My initial thoughts was that it might be a small flying insect. When I saw its tail only then I realised that it is a butterfly



On further observation my thoughts was that it could be some Drupadia or a Cheritra species but its small size was something which I have never seen before


In addition to its tiny size, it had also constantly perched high above my head which makes sharp photography a much difficulty thing to operate.


Occasionally it would fly deeper into the bushes and then return again after a few minutes.


 

It is also can be quite skittish - only allowed distant shots.



I am so fortunate to see this butterfly as I only realised its rarity status when I got home.



Hopefully I can see it again and get a much sharper photo of this rare species of butterfly.


HAPPY BUTTERFLY WATCHING !!






No comments:

Butterflying in March 2024 - Kaniska et al.

The months from March to June will be perfect for some butterflying works due to the transition of the monsoon season to a much drier weathe...